Monday, February 28, 2011

'Law and Order: Criminal Intent' Final Season Brings Back Goren and Eames

A good friend of livejournal pointed me on that article.

'Law and Order: CI' Tenth Season Premieres Sunday May 1
by Marilyn French, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Feb 9, 2011

Detectives Goren and Eames played by Vincent D'Onofrio and Katherine Erbe are back for eight new episodes of "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" on Sunday May 1 on the USA Network. I am glad for the return of their characters because their departures at the beginning of season nine left me unsatisfied. It sounds like the tenth and final season may provide some resolution. It looks like Goren will try to deal with his unresolved issues and Eames will have some issues from her past resurface. The new captain is an old friend of Goren and brings him back on with his partner Eames. I am interested to see what the final season has in store for the two detectives.

The beginning of season nine of "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" saw Goren fired and Eames with a chance at captain, but in the end, she declines the position. The rest of season nine progressed with Detectives Nichols and Stevens taking the reigns for the remainder of the season nine episodes. It was a decent season, but I am looking forward to the return of Goren and Eames. I haven't heard anything about the fate of the Nichols and Stevens.

Detective Nichols played by Jeff Goldblum was an interesting and complex character, but what drew me to "Law and Order: CI" and kept me addicted for many seasons was Detective Goren. He is definitely one of my favorite all time television characters. He was a deeply tortured, but brilliant soul. He had a troubled childhood and dealing with his schizophrenic mother was a big part of his life. He also dealt with a brother with a gambling addiction. It sounds like this season he will deal with some revelations about his father, a serial killer.

Detective Goren is sharp and brilliant when it comes to interrogations, but he is a highly misunderstood person with not many close friends. His closest relationship seems to be with his partner Eames. Eames career has not progressed as well as it could have because of her partner, but she has grown increasingly loyal to her partner over the years. One episode of "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" revealed that she had requested a new partner early in their partnership.

I liked following the complexity of Goren's character throughout the show. He could be sensitive at times and those were some of my favorite moments in the show. I remember one episode where he ended up having feelings for a suspect who did end up being guilty of murder. He did his duty, but it wasn't easy for him. She said she saw that he cared about her and he apologized to her for letting her see it. The way he interacted with suspects and witnesses was interesting. At times he was literally in their face making them uncomfortable and many times leading to closing the case.

I was so into this show at one point that I watched it several times a night. It used to be on the USA Network most nights and usually two or three episodes a night. I watched it so often that I knew the episodes pretty much by heart. I hope for a great send off for "Law and Order: Criminal Intent."

5 comments:

  1. OMG OMG THIS IS SOOO EXCITING!
    :inhale, exhale:
    We already knew about Bobby examining his past, but EAMES TOO!?! I can't wait!
    Thanks for sharing this HAVERS! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this article. I'm somewhat afraid for Alex, I don't like to think something bad happened to her in the past. If there is an epi about Alex's past and it's bad, I for one will not watch, I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should be careful about the article ;o) When looking at the yahoo page, it seams like a personal comment. I don't know if the author Ms. French has more background information. But it would be wonderful to see a little bit of private Alex. No drama, no hurt only daily stuff, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^Yeah, I agree, I was a little dubious too (as this is the only article that's mentioned that bit about exploring Eames' past).

    Then again, I've noticed that since season 6, they've always devoted at least one episode to Eames (aka "The Eames Trilogy": Blind Spot, Amends, Lady's Man), so hopefully it will be true in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Eames Trilogy...oh my, I never heard that expression. But I love it.

    But I confess, no more drama. I want normal life background stuff. [birthday, family come together,...]

    ReplyDelete